Friday 8 November 2013

Evaluation

Street Photography

First hearing about the theme of the project I was a little scared, I new that with Street Photography you have to involve yourself with what’s going on around you and I’m not really one for jumping in the action I’m more of a watcher. But I think it was a great first project, it gave me the chance to feel somewhat more confident with my camera, taught me to open my eyes more.

Throughout my process of taking pictures I stuck to lone people, small crowds. I had people ask me if I did this because I felt alone and secluded myself, at first I didn't really think about it I guess I choose to capture lone people because I felt more drawn to them. In a way I felt like they did have some sort of similarities to myself, I felt more comfortable without them knowing I was there taking their picture and them walking away from me then to have them see me. I think if I was to improve on my way of taking pictures I would try to interact with my subjects, maybe ask to take there picture and get closer instead of standing quite a distance away from them. I did get more confident to take pictures of my subjects walking towards me but again I wasn't close enough so to me the pictures didn't look very appealing.

Practically, with all my films I had problems with the full roll developing. I don’t think I have one full roll that was successful. I’m not entirely sure what happened for it to do this, at first I thought that maybe I was developing them wrong but then why would I still get half the film that did develop? Because this happened with all my rolls of film and I didn't know what was going wrong I couldn't really do anything to prevent it from happening. I guess it was just a thing I expected to happen so I learnt to work with it.

I have used a darkroom on my previous course at college so I was familiar with some of the techniques and rules. But I have learnt a lot from my experience on this project, mainly with filters and dodging and burning. I didn't really use these techniques before so it was fun to experiment with then. I've also learnt a lot about photography in general and how the camera works. On my previous course at college it was a mixture of different art forms so when we did do photography it was a case of using the skills and the knowledge you already new. So I've definitely gained more knowledge and learnt some tricks.

The project definitely challenged me to go beyond my comfort zone, I was expecting for a first project to be something of less challenging, something to sort of prepare us for a more demanding project like this. We were definitely thrown in the deep end with this project.

To conclude, if I was to do things differently the biggest thing would to be space out my time of working and not leave everything to the last minute. Especially my evaluation, I was putting it off because I always struggle to word what I want to say so it takes me longer to write and finish things like this. And to also be more organised with photo paper because i wasn't able to contact and print my last rolls of film and i would have liked to print more on my other rolls as well.          

  

No comments:

Post a Comment