Tuesday 18 February 2014

Don McCullin


Don McCullin, Biafra,1969
McCullin is an internationally known British photojournalist recognised more for his war photography. Like Nachtway, McCullin is trying to show what is actually happening in the wars he captured and tried to bring awareness. But unlike Natchtway, McCullin is trying to get away from the label of being a war photographer. He states that, "I was building this reputation as a war photographer, which today I really detest. I worked for it and then when I suddenly felt that I was being acclaimed as a war photographer suddenly I felt uncomfortable and dirty, I felt being called a war photographer was worse then being called a mercenary". I think the only difference between the two photographers, and their thoughts on wanting to continue or get away from capturing war is that McCullin has a family. 

McCullin didn't want to weaken his strength by thinking in a sentimental way about his family, he just wanted to do his job and to hopefully go home to them. He wondered what they thought about him leaving, whether they thought they would see him again after. I guess if you where wanting to become a war photographer and make a living from it, you do need to be selfish in a way. Both photographers state that it can be addictive and the things they capture is only a fragment of what they have seen, felt, smelt and heard. It haunts you.
 
          "emotional awareness is the most important aspect of photography..."
           
            The image that caught my eye the most in McCullins work is this:
Homeless Irishman, East End, London, 1969
McCullin would walk around the streets of Brick Lane in the East End of London, looking for homeless people. Capturing the story of derelicts-the human beings who are pushed aside and ignored by our society. He captured this portrait of a man that was lying in the embers of an all night fire. I find this image so powerful. It holds so much detail and character, even though its quite intimidating to look at you still want to. The first thing i see and draws me to the image is his eyes, when talking about this image McCullin states that, "He sat up and looked at me full faced and I just held his stare, I just drought my Nikon camera up to my eye and took this picture. He never moved an eyelid, I was looking at the bluest eyes I've ever seen". I would have loved to see this image in colour, to compare the contrast and to see if it would hold the same character as the black and white image does.

No comments:

Post a Comment