Friday 16 May 2014

Evaluation


Black and White Landscape Photography

Using the work of Lewis Baltz and Stephanie Jung for inspiration I tried to capture the space in my own urban landscapes. First concentrating on the lines within my subjects to then look at texture and then going on to pattern, shapes and abstractions to finish with me capturing the space and lines within my images. Getting influence from also Ryan Bush and Lucy Shires with my ideas and experimentation on textures, lines and patterns within landscapes helped me to take an abstract approach with some of my images and experiment with different angles and perspectives.

I feel that I haven’t done enough for this project and have in away gone back to the beginning instead of progressing and learning from my past projects on what is needed for me to archive the target grade I initially set out to accomplish. I could have improved my work massively by taking more images, researching more, developing and improving my ideas but with me not being happy with the outcome of my images and thinking that my ideas weren’t good enough at the beginning of the project I gave up which I think by doing so I only let myself down and left little time to improve on all of this. I feel that towards the end of my time at uni I didn’t put any effort in to it at all which again, doing so I’ve let myself down.

I experienced a lot of technical faults with my images which only lessened my confidence towards my images even more. I guess the solution I should have taken was to go back out and take more photographs instead of dwelling on the things that didn’t work out which could have easily been put right. I used the excuse of there not being any camera equipment or film for me to use as to why I hadn’t done the work I could have easily produced. It was only towards the end of the project I found the solutions I could have taken advantage from to help with my development, one being if I couldn’t use the large format camera I should have ask for something else to experiment with which I did in the end use a medium format camera and turned out to be successful and helped in a great way with my development. 

I received a lot of encouragement from my peers towards my work and how I could have improved it, which I think did help and encourage me to go out and shoot more images. I felt each time I went out helped me to develop my ideas and I improved a lot with not only the images I captured but also my skills in the developing process.
From this project I’ve learnt that giving up shouldn’t be an option and if something doesn’t work out then I should learn from it and try again and again and again until I’m happy with the outcome. It’s also challenged my skills in the darkroom, I feel that it is something that I’ve improved on from my experience on other projects.

If I was to do this project again id work harder. I’d manage my time better, take more photographs, spend more time researching and developing my skills in the darkroom. I’d try not to give up so easily and work on the things that need improvement and I would also just change my attitude toward everything and not use excuses as to why I can’t do something but instead work with what I have access to. 
                

No comments:

Post a Comment