Thursday 16 January 2014

Experimenting





At the start of the project I think you can see that I stayed with the traditional style of portraiture. I guess I was just trying to get used to the Hasselblad and the whole studio environment. Because this is quiet compact I wanted to experiment with space and distance also with the background I tried to stay away from the white and worked more with black or grey. I thought that the white was to over powering and it didn’t really mix well with my subjects. 

Hear I’ve experimented with a grey background and tried landscape instead of portrait.



I like these images as a set, there’s a slight pattern with their poses so it brings them all together. I only used one or two lights whenever I was in the studio so it wasn’t that complicated. I think because I liked having all the space around my subjects I got further away from them each time I captured them, and experimented with landscape and portrait. 
 

I really like these two images, when you use black and white I think it changes everything and you get a more mysterious look and in some it creates more character in the image. 
I only used one light with these (the beauty dish) but if I was to experiment with studio photography more I’d like to use more than one but for this project I liked the simplicity of it and the effects I got with just one or two lights.

 
 
    

Okay, so I’m not sure if this worked but for this image I ask her how she feels about getting her picture taken and she said that she doesnt like to be in the spot light, then i thought about how my subject is quite shy aswell so I purposely made this image look out of focus to represent this in a way. But it just looks like an out of focus image, it doesn’t really give you anything when you look at it, you dont get a feeling you could say that i was hoping i could create with it so it is more of a trial and fail idea I had. 


Instead of getting further away from my subjects I decided to try something different and got closer, first I tried portrait but I didn't really like them and it was expected, so I went back to landscape. 


 I like the shape of my landscape images, although there close-ups they do still have the space around the subjects. These three images are what I initially got my idea from for my final three images but from researching portrait photographers and looking at David Bailey, Irving Penn's Picasso shots and Jill Greenberge work, I quite liked the style of the close-up shots they all captured I decided to got closer to my subjects but still went for the landscape formate.  
   
  




No comments:

Post a Comment